Sunday, December 30, 2007

Enough with the music. Let's talk about some real issues here.

-- This just came in from a friend of (y)ours, and he writes..... --

Watching Taare Zameen Par, I was thinking to myself: why doesn't Bollywood make more movies like this? Why don't I see more movies like Kabul Express and Chakde India?
I am talking about big stars, big production houses backing them, and storylines which go beyond "woman 'n man, girl and boy", into the realm of "feel the pain, feel the joy."

The success of Lage Raho Munna Bhai and Chakde India is an indicator enough that audiences at home and abroad are ready for unconventional subjects with redeeming social values.

I have absolutely nothing against unabashed entertainment fiestas full of color and far-fetched fantasies – I really don't! I am a big fan!
All I am saying is that if cinema finds itself in the envious position of being able to hold the attention of the masses, why not tell them some real stories as well?

Cinema is a great means to communicate ideas and call attention to problems that need attention in an attention deficit world.
Indian movies have typically been mere extensions of reality, and I think our audiences are now ready(and waiting) for movies that are honest reflections of reality.

On the other hand, K.Express, Chakde, and TZP are all recent productions. So maybe Bollywood is already onto social cinema. But I hear there are 800 productions in Bollywood every year.
So three social films in 800?

Hm.

So yes, I was saying that while 'Watching Taare Zameen Par, I was thinking to myself..'

0 comments: